Cloud courses for job seekers
New programme will aid the unemployed to gain cloud computing skills
Tech4Biz | 17 Feb 2012 :
A new initiative that provides training and work placement for the unemployed exciting field of cloud computing has been launched. The programme is led by the industry training network, the ISA Software Skillnet, which is funded by Skillnets and promoted by the Irish Software Association, and in association with VMware.
"In September 2011, twenty six job seekers engaged with this programme and 40% of the participants are already in jobs, with the remaining 60% in high quality work placements. These results are a testament to the effective collaboration between companies, industry bodies and job-seekers, through the leadership of the ISA Software Skillnet," said Alan Nuzum, chief executive, Skillnets. "This conversion programme can deliver the skills and experience necessary for job-seekers to gain meaningful employment in this growing sector and also provides enterprise with qualified individuals to recruit."
The programme is free to the unemployed and eligible participants can get a top-up to current unemployment benefits if approved by Social Welfare. During the nine month programme participants receive 12 weeks of training which is delivered by VMware trainers, C2 and Cork Institute of Technology. VMware and other companies in the region will also provide opportunities for job seekers to apply their new skills and gain experience in the sector by providing work placements.
"The international ICT research body Forrester predicts that globally cloud markets will continue to grow, and the total cloud market (including private, virtual private, and public cloud markets) will reach about $61 billion (€46 billion) by the end of 2012. Software companies in Ireland are well positioned to benefit from this growth." explains Gordon O'Reilly, technical development manager, VMware. "This programme will allow the unemployed to avail of the real opportunities available in Ireland's vibrant cloud computing sector."
The ISA Software Skillnet Cloud Careers programme receives grant support from Skillnets Job Seekers Support Programme, which is funded by the National Training Fund through the Department of Education and Skills.
The next programme will commence in March and applications are now being accepted at www.isa-skillnet.com